Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How come white men don't approach me in public?

Just thinking this one through, I feel like there is usually an added culture barrier or something between black and white. I think it's sort of assumed from my side that you're probably in to hip hop and thuggy black guys unless I see you demonstrate or in a situation that show's somehow that it's not necessarily true. Maybe that's television/movies/media's fault. Think of most black comedy routines, sit-coms, movies where the subject of white people is typically white guys can't play sports, don't talk cool, have small junk, etc. Kind of makes it intimidating. I don't know. It seems like for things to click between me and a black woman, we need to meet in a place where it's obvious we have something in common. A club where we're both there to see jazz musicians or other live music. At an arts festival where we seem to be stopping in the same places. Then it might feel like a safe move to approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment